假如一个强盗闯入我的房子,我邀请他吃爆米...

假如一个强盗闯入我的房子,我邀请他吃爆米花和披萨,会发生什么事?

True story.
真实的故事。
My cousin Jim was walking home late one night when a guy armed with a knife came out of an alley and demanded his wallet.
我的表弟吉姆有天晚上正步行回家,这时一个家伙从一条小巷里出来,拿着一把刀,要他的钱包。
Jim pulled it out and handed it over, but before the robber could run away, he said “Hey, man, you look hungry and tired.
吉姆拿出钱包,递了过去。强盗还没来得及逃跑,吉姆就说:“嘿,伙计,你看起来又饿又累。”
Can I buy you a meal? There's an all night diner on the corner.”
我可以请你吃顿饭吗?街角有家通宵营业的餐厅。”
The robber, Tim, accepted the invitation.
劫匪蒂姆接受了邀请。
They sat down at a table and ate together, and while they ate, my cousin got the guy to open up and talk about his life, his addiction problems, his family struggles.
他们坐在一张桌子旁一起吃饭,吃饭的时候,我的表弟让那个人敞开心扉,谈论他的生活,他的毒瘾问题,他的家庭困境。
Jim listened, didn't judge, was kind.
吉姆善于倾听,不妄加评判,为人和善。
When the bill came, my cousin made a show of looking for his wallet, then said “Oh, I know I said I'd pay, but you have my wallet.
结账时,我表弟先做了个找钱包的样子,然后说:“哦,我知道我说过付钱的,但我的钱包在你这。”
Tim started crying and handed it back, contents untouched.
蒂姆哭了起来,把钱包递了回去,里面的东西一点也没动。
Jim put the tip on the table and then pulled out a business card.
吉姆把小费放在桌子上,然后拿出一张名片。
He gave it to Tim and said “Before you do anything stupid, call me tomorrow.”
他把名片给了蒂姆,说:“明天在你做蠢事之前,给我打个电话。”
He paid the bill and left.
他付了帐单就走了。
Tim called him the next afternoon.
第二天下午蒂姆给他打了电话。
My cousin helped him get clean.
我表弟帮他打扫卫生。
My cousin helped him with his legal record.
我表弟帮他做法律记录。
My cousin helped him find a decent job.
我表弟帮他找到了一份体面的工作。
Two years later, Jim became godfather to Tim's daughter.
两年后,吉姆成了蒂姆女儿的教父。
The year after that, Tim became godfather to Jim's son.
又一年后,蒂姆成了吉姆儿子的教父。
They've been friends for 15 years now.
他们已经是15年的朋友了。
And it could have gone very differently.
原本结果可能会完全不同。
My cousin works in private security.
我表弟在私人保安公司工作。
He was carrying concealed that night and could have just shot the guy, but that's not my cousin.
那晚他把枪藏了起来,他本可以直接枪击那个人,但那就不是我表弟的为人了。
Be like Jim.
做个像吉姆一样的人。

(0)

相关推荐